"Rashmi Rubdi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On 4/27/07, Si'mon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> For development boxes, I want tomcat to exit if an exception is thrown in
>> specific .war (web application).  After exiting it will print the
>> exception
>> and not go any further.
>>
>> Is there any way to do this (configuration) or any way to incorporate
>> this
>> into the web application?

If you are running with a SecurityManager, then you are SoL.  Otherwise, if
you don't care about a clean shutdown, then a simple
    System.exit(0);
will do the trick.

> I haven't written code to shutdown Tomcat from a program.
>
> One thing that comes to mind is calling shutdown.bat / shutdown.sh
> from the location of the catch for that exception.
>
> Also, there may be other better ways to accomplish this.

If you are not running from 'jsvc' or embedded, and using the default
configuration, then (copied from Catalina.java):
            Socket socket = new Socket("127.0.0.1", 8005);
            OutputStream stream = socket.getOutputStream();
            String shutdown = "SHUTDOWN";
            for (int i = 0; i < shutdown.length(); i++)
                stream.write(shutdown.charAt(i));
            stream.flush();
            stream.close();
            socket.close();