In the working directory of the process. Of course you need enough free
disk space.

There is also

-XX:HeapDumpPath=DIRECTORY_OR_FILE

(Caution: I don't know, if all JVM versions that implement
-XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError, implement this one too).

You should check in the process table (if it's a unix like system) if
your switches are picked up appropriately.

Also you can check their function by wrinting a simple java app, that
has an unterminated loop allocating objects and setting the heap size to
a small value, which should prodice an OurOfmemoryError and a heap dump.

Regards,

Rainer