Rainer,

Thanks for the reply!  You're certainly right on the JK version.

Can you be more specific on the "add some more timeouts" comment? Do you mean a higher number on connection_pool_timeout?

Also, should the relationship between httpd's MaxClients and the connector's maxThreads be 1:1 or what? The httpd server does do additional work besides simply front-ending Tomcat, so I'd assume that we'd want MaxClients to be at least the same as MaxThreads, and probably much more depending on how much additional work the httpd server does. Is this reasonable? I'm just trying to get a handle on the relationships.

Thanks,
Brantley

Rainer Jung wrote:
Please update mod_jk. 1.2.6 is *very* outdated. We are now at 1.2.22 and a lot of things have improved.

After upgrading, check your configuration against the reference guide in the docs, especially the pages for the worker properties and Apache directives. You might want to add some more timeouts.

BTW: Maximum Apache parallelity of 150 does not really fit to a maximum tomcat parallelity of 1500 unless your tomcat does serious extra work .

Regards,

Rainer

Brantley Hobbs wrote:
All,

I have a web application that appears to run just fine at low loads, but when we ramp up to high load levels, strange things start happening.

The symptoms are a *ton* of apparently hung threads on the tomcat status page for my JK connector. They're in stage "S", with 0KB sent and 0KB recv and they never die.

Eventually, we reach a point on httpd where we get:
[error] server reached MaxClients setting, consider raising the MaxClients setting

And when we reach this point, the entire httpd server stops responding. I post this to the tomcat list because this same server serves PHP under similar (or worse) loads with no problems.

Here's my worker properties file:
worker.lbJ2EE.balanced_workers=web1
worker.web1.type=ajp13
worker.web1.host=128.192.100.14
worker.web1.port=8009
worker.web1.lbfactor=1
worker.web1.retries=5
worker.web1.connection_pool_timeout=60

Here's my AJP connector's configuration:
<Connector port="8009" enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" maxThreads="1500" backlog="300" connectionTimeout="60000"/>

Here's my httpd worker.c configuration
<IfModule worker.c>
StartServers         2
MaxClients          150
MinSpareThreads     25
MaxSpareThreads     75
ThreadsPerChild     25
MaxRequestsPerChild  0
</IfModule>

Tomcat 5.5.23 (Sun jvm 1.6.0-b105)
Apache 2.0.52
mod_jk 1.2.6
All running on RHEL4

Any help appreciated! I don't have a great deal of Tomcat load tuning experience.

Brantley Hobbs