In order for the custom error page to be used, the application must be
deployed.  I.e., Tomcat can give a custom 404 for
/mycontext/badpagerequested.jsp but if there is no context "/mycontext"
because the app is not (yet) deployed, Tomcat cannot know about your custom
error page.

I'm guessing you can add a global error-page to Tomcat's conf/web.xml, but
then it would apply to all apps on the server.  This may or may not work for
you.

If you have fronted Tomcat with httpd, you might be able to use custom error
pages there instead.  JK will send a 503 if the application is not currently
available.

Tim