I also found this log, and I assume it's related to the problem:

WARNING: A docBase /var/apache/apache-tomcat-6.0.13/webapps/GroupAliases
inside the host appBase has been specified, and will be ignored

You can see in the dump of mailtools#aliases.xml that indeed I do
specify a docBase.  In Tomcat 4 that was correct but now that's wrong??
Makes no sense.

-- Rob