I think you've got that wrong.

1. Spec says:
"The response MUST include the following header fields: ... - ETag
and/or Content-Location, if the header would have been sent in a 200
response to the same request"

2. ETag header *was* sent in a 200 response to the same request. (See
the header logs I posted earlier.)

3. Therefore, the 304 response must include the ETag.
(I'm pretty sure that's right, it seems straightforward to me.)
--
Len

On 5/19/07, Rashmi Rubdi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 5/16/07, Joe Mun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi guys... so according to the HTTP 1.1 spec (
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html), 304 Not Modified

Well, according to RFC 2616's section 10.3.5 on  304 Not Modified

"- ETag and/or Content-Location, if the header would have been sent
        in a 200 response to the same request"   , but the header is
sent in a 304 response.

That's why there's no ETag

> I am serving a static text file, and the header only returns:
>
> HTTP/1.x 304 Not Modified
> Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1
> Date: Wed, etc...

A 304 however returns If-None-Match which includes entity-tag , which
is the same as ETag for the requested resource.

RFC2616
14.26 If-None-Match
If-None-Match = "If-None-Match" ":" ( "*" | 1#entity-tag )

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Status=Not Modified - 304
If-None-Match=  W/"13035-1163859776458"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Status=OK - 200
Etag=                W/"13035-1163859776458"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> Is there a reason that the Etag is not being included?

Because it is not supposed to be included --- see above.

> Is there a way to
> configure Tomcat to include this? My company is working with a caching
> solution provider, and they are complaining about the missing ETag.

The caching provider should be looking for Http Status code.

If they status code is 200 , then they should look for Etag header, if
the status code is 304 then they should look for If-None-Match header.

> thanks.

-Rashmi