Marc,
What jar are you talking about? I have a similar problem. Got log4j  working
with my application based on spring running on tomcat 5.5.17
but have troubles to set up logging for Spring/Whatever is using commons
logging in my log4j xml.

Searching on the net reveals that this might be tomcat/commons-logging
problems, but following various suggestions didn't help me.

I won't put here various configuration files as they are correct (working
with my app./ log file gets created - appender for spring only, but no
logging messages for spring goes into it nor to anywhere else).

I have commons-logging-api.jar in $TOMCAT_HOME.bin (v 1.0.4)
log4j.1.2.4.jar + commons-loggin.jar in WEB-INF/lib.

No other log4j configuration/jars lying around neither is set in tomcats
configs. I also tried it with spring's jpetstore sample application,
but didn't work either.

Does anybody have any idea? Or an idea how to try to discover the problem
(no logging, no pointers)?
Thanks a lot,
Mirek