I'm not sure what the impact of Tomcat is on this, but I've used syntax
similar to this:

try {
    File tf = File.createTempFile("pattern", ".suffix");
    tf.deleteOnExit();
    BufferedWriter out = new BufferedWriter(new FileWriter(tf));
    out.write("This temporary file is deleted on close");
    out.close();
}
catch (IOException e) {
}