Thanks for your help, and I didn't mean to raise anyone's ire.  I did read
the docs, but started to loose confidence when it was not working.

The part of the documentation that is missing is the specification of the
"param-value".  Is this param-value supposed to be a java class, an
executable, or something else?

I had:
<param-value>com.sun.tools.javac.main.JavaCompiler</param-value>

You didn't seems to have an issue with this parameter being a class, so I am
going on the assumption that this is correct.  So, now maybe my problem is
my setup of the classpath.  I was thinking that just putting the tools.jar
in the lib directory would be sufficient for a test.  This did not work.  I
then added it manually to the CLASSPATH variable in the setclasspath.sh to
ensure it is set.  Yet, I still get a:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: No Java compiler available

org.apache.jasper.JspCompilationContext.createCompiler(JspCompilationContext
.java:229)

One of my servlets prints out the classpath, and it shows :

java.class.path=/opt/OCIEsys/tomcat/DEV_04_07/bin/java/lib/tools/jar::/ocie/
tests/OCIEsys/to
mcat/DEV_04_07/bin/bootstrap.jar:/ocie/tests/OCIEsys/tomcat/DEV_04_07/bin/co
mmons-logging-api.jar

Thanks again,
Mark