I am sure someone has run across this before. I appreciate any help or pointers to other threads about this.

in the logs I get this error:

        un 19, 2007 1:01:24 PM org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm open
        SEVERE: Exception performing authentication
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc is not bound in this Context

What am I doing wrong?

I have a default server.xml. I configure everything using META- INF/context.xml and WEB-INF/web.xml

context.xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Context path="apppath" docBase="appname" reloadable="true" antiJARLocking="true">
        <Resource auth="Container"
                driverClassName="org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver"
                maxActive="10"
                maxIdle="5"
                name="jdbc/gateway"
                password="apassword"
                type="javax.sql.DataSource"
                url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/gateway?autoReconnect=true"
                username="myusername"/>
<Realm className="org.apache.catalina.realm.DataSourceRealm" debug="99"
           dataSourceName="jdbc/gateway"
           userTable="user"
           userNameCol="Username"
           userCredCol="Password"
           userRoleTable="loginroleview"
           roleNameCol="RoleName"/>
</Context>

web.xml:  (has other things, but here is the auth part)

        <security-constraint>
                <web-resource-collection>
                        <web-resource-name>Secured Area</web-resource-name>
                        <url-pattern>/secure/*</url-pattern>
                </web-resource-collection>
                <auth-constraint>
                        <role-name>Administrator</role-name>
                        <role-name>User</role-name>
                </auth-constraint>
        </security-constraint>

        <login-config>
        <auth-method>BASIC</auth-method>
        <realm-name>Gateway Secure Area</realm-name>
        </login-config>

        <security-role>
        <description>
                The role that is required