there is no right or wrong solution, but entertain this scenario

1. few very large machines (or)
2. many very inexpensive machines

in the case of one machine breaking, using 1) will have a larger impact on your performance than 2)
however, in the case of 2) you may have more failures.

take google for example, in an article by their CTO I read they are essentially using option 2), because it is so easy/quick/cheap to replace

however, remember that using 2) also usually has much more power consumption, so if power cost is an issue, you will need to setup a matrix for yourself.

Filip

bajistaman wrote:
I'm trying to move my Apache Http Server Farm to a Tomcat one and I guess
that Tomcat needs more resources than Apache does. Our approach has been
always to have many medium size machines than a few big ones, does anybody
have any suggestion to the kind of machine + OS needed to get the best
tomcat performance?

Thanks,

Johann