Thanks for explaining how you use it....
Think you absolutely right, having a standard in a large institution is probably the governing concern. Now that I know what a portlet is, the next time I stick a hidden field in a form to control the backend logic and flow control, or include one JSP page in another, its always going to get me thinking about portlets. Its certainly interesting, in many ways I think programmers without even thinking about it, are using "subliminal" portlets already.... take that to the extremes of UI and biz logic separation, and you have portlets.

.... the frameworks built on top of tomcat seem to be endless, just when I think I've seen it all, something else pops up, its no wonder this mailing list is so good.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacob Rhoden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:53 AM
Subject: Re: PORTLET live site examples?

I just thought of a very speciffic example that might make what i was saying clearer. Using the educational field again:

Just say you have a central student enrollment online system. Faculty A just wants the student to fill out all forms, say Form 1, form 2 and form 3. However Faculty B says, we want Form 1, Form 2, Our funny form not in your system, form 3. And Faculty C says We just want Form 1, and form 3.

Simply make all the forms Portlets, and put them in a portal. That way depending on the student they can be shown different portlets.

This way no matter what strange and wacky way each of the clients in the company want the students to enroll, we can accommodate it by having everything turned into Portlets.

(Sorry I cant give you a live example, ours is very secure)

Best Regards,
Jacob