"Johnny Kewl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi Bill almost missed your reply...
> I'm subscribed to so many mailing lists, my incoming mail is starting to
> look like a flash animation...
>
> Briefly, yes... I am looking at it....
> or more accurately I'm struggling with a cool exciting concept....
>
> Goes something like this.... auto JK config maybe a "toy" as you say, but
> besides JMX, it was one of the few things that presented a partial model
> of TC to another system.... that concept I find very appealing.
> I'm thinking... ok, well JMX (via the internal mbeans registering
> themselves), represents the live model of Tomcat.
> and.... JMX has effectively demoted XML configuration to something that
> now really just represents the persisted static model of TC.

This isn't how Tomcat-Standalone works, but it easily could be.  I haven't
looked at the JBoss code, but I understand that they use JMX to embed Tomcat
from the persisted static setup.

> So if one wants to make helper tools... those tools need to be interfaced
> with and aware of both the live and static models of TC.
> As a simple auto JK tool, its, as you say, a toy.... but now add JK load
> balancing to it, and mod_proxy with the ability to perhaps even configure
> HTTPd, then someone will go, gee thats cool, lets make it easy to
> configure

Configuring httpd is something that has been talked about for mod_jk3
(currently just being discussed, slowly on [EMAIL PROTECTED]).  You can read
about
it at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/connectors/trunk/jk3/ROADMAP,
and of course you can offer any suggestions (aka patches) on [EMAIL PROTECTED]
or
BZ just like any other Tomcat document.

> SSO, and the realm, and hey lets add JNDI to that.... and then people are
> going to scream for a JMX interface to this easy configurator....

There is the JMXProxy in /manager, JConsole, etc.

> .....thats how I'm thinking....but it raising all sorts of issues in my
> mind....
> Like maybe the whole concept of core beans registering themselves with JMX
> is wrong.... or maybe there has to be JMX for the expert TC developer and
> a JMX for the admin dude.

The more-or-less abandoned /admin webapp was meant to be a JMX interface for
the admin dude.  Unfortunately, it lost it's developers to GlassFish, and
now is still too tied to the TC 4.1.x (where it originated) way of doing
things to be of much use in TC 6.x.  IMHO, it would probably need a re-write
to be accepted for TC 6.x.

> For example (I havnt tried it), but what happens to TC if you change the
> connected port, or reset a Realm through JMX... its live, so just how
> badly

Well, for the connected port, you would have to stop and start the Connector
for it to take effect (possible via JMX).  I haven't looked recently at what
the Realms expose, but mostly I would think that they would take effect
immediately (i.e. on the next Request).

> would that screw up TC.... or will TC raise an exception and just ignore
> you.... just how smart are the core beans?
> Now JMX through the "easy configurator" or "TC modeler".... would be
> something different, if you change the JK load sharing, it would say
> "configuration illegal", or "new configuration will become active on a TC
> restart.... do you want to restart when user activity has ceased".
> It would become the model of TC that people see.... it would become a
> "modeler".... and it would become a safe layer between the live TC and
> what people are trying to make it do?

Again, the starting point would be to look at the /admin webapp, which tries
to do just that.  Like auto-configure, it is a popular option with users
that currently doesn't have much love in the [EMAIL PROTECTED] community :).