Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
From: John Moore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Tomcat6 Manager App HOW-TO

It appears that the instruction to add (paths corrected)
<Context path="/manager" privileged="true"
    docBase="/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/manager">
</Context>
is wrong (based on message from Charles Caldarale on 5/16/2007)

The path attribute is only valid when the <Context> element is in
server.xml, which is strongly discouraged.  For other <Context> uses,
the path is derived from the name of war file (or directory) or the name
of the .xml file in conf/Catalina/[host].
i.e. Don't follow the directions..<G>

So.. in reading the rest of the instructions I'm finding things are not quite working as documented.

Please point out where in the Tomcat 6 doc you're finding discrepancies.
Everything I'm asking here comes from the Tomcat6 Manager HOW-TO.. (newly printed from the site)

You are basically saying, as I understand it, that it is either wrong or incomplete. (It may, of course, just be that my ignorance is so bad that I can make sense of it all..<G>)

1) Is the instruction that you add a manager.xml to each
    $CATALINA_HOME/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]
..folder required?

Not for Tomcat 6, since the directory structure has changed.  In TC 5.5
and older, the various management applications were located outside of
the normal <Host> appBase (in server/webapps), and therefore required
[appname].xml files in conf/Catalina/[host].  For TC 6, the management
applications are located under the configured appBase directory, so
their <Context> elements can be found in their respective META-INF
directories.

If you configure multiple <Host> elements with differing appBase
attributes, you have two choices.  Either copy the management
applications to each appBase, or keep them in one spot and create
[appname].xml files with appropriate docBase attributes in each
conf/[engine]/[host], similar to TC 5.5.
Great thanks.. That is the missing piece(s) in the docs... Ditto for your following advice..
   but can not access the host-manager at:
    http://localhost:8080/host-manager/html
..I get a 403 (I did try adding a host-manager role to the tomcat-user.xml , but no joy)

Look in the WEB-INF/web.xml file for host-manager; you'll see that the
required role name is admin, not manager or host-manager.

3) I can not access a virtual host Manager at
   http://www.domainhere.com:8080/manager/html

What appBase did you configure for the www.domainhere.com <Host>?  If
you don't have a manager webapp deployed there, you'll need to create a
conf/Catalina/www.domainhere.com/manager.xml file that contains a
<Context> element with a docBase attribute that points to the location
of the manager webapp.