I am installing mod_jk 1.2.23 in a load balancing configuration between
apache 2.0.52 and tomcat 5.0.28.  I am trying to understand how the
mod_jk error detection actually works.  In the documentation
"socket_timeout" directive defaults to zero (infinite waiting) but the
"retries" directive defaults to two.

With these settings how could I expect the connector to behave if:

1.  Tomcat dies and the port is no longer listening resulting in an
immediate icmp response.

2.  The box hosting tomcat dies or the tcp stack for whatever reason
tanks resulting in no immediate icmp response.

3.  The connector does make a successful connection to the backend
tomcat worker only to have that worker become slow and almost
unresponsive.

Are there more directives I should be concerned with?  Currently, I have
no intentions on monitoring the http response status codes to detect
errors.