When I asked this question I had in mind a few potential downsides to one 8
GB Tomcat. One is memory leaks: if Tomcat starts to leak memory (not sure if
this happens too often, if ever, but I'm speaking purely hypothetically)
then you'd rather not want your single Tomcat to eat up all the memory. If
you had two Tomcat instances running the exact same application, then the
memory leak is only affecting up to 4 GB?

The other is high-availability - if you have a huge 8 GB box and it's
because you decide not to have 4 x 2 GB smaller boxes, then you definitely
cannot get high-availability against hardware issues - but say you're
pushing out an upgrade to the application (i.e. the WAR file). If you have
two Tomcats, couldn't you bring one down while the other continues to serve
requests, push out the upgrade, bring it back up, then do the same with the
other application? With only one instance, you must have downtime right?

The last is at the following link, several performance graphs for Linux show
a slight or sharp decrease in performance for a given Tomcat instance beyond
a certain number of users! Why is this? Wouldn't these diminishing returns,
if true, severly cripple one 8 GB instance serving 2*n users compared to two
4 GB instances serving only n users?

http://www.webperformanceinc.com/library/reports/windows_vs_linux_part1/index.html