Hi Chris

my experience has been: one tomcat instance per dev/test/prod, & the webapp on each instance always points to the same database (dev tomcat->dev db, test tomcat -> test db etc), so the database connection on a /single/ instance never changes. However when promoting code from dev to test to prod, you want to use the one war file and not have to fiddle around in it's guts to promote a change, otherwise there's the chance of error's creeping in. (prod app pointing to dev/test anyone?)

Most of the sysadmin's I've worked with really don't like the idea of having to rip open a war and update some weird config file just to do a deploy. the alternative is I know all the passwords and build a war for each target, which is a crap solution.

We should just be able to configure a datasource for a particular context in the target instance, and then forever after all deployments are database transparent. Am i missing something?

I can't understand why it would be better to target a war file for a database, than have the configuration live in the instance and the war file is database-agnostic. makes change migration a *lot* easier.

Christopher Schultz wrote:

Matthew Kerle
IT Consultant
Canberra, Australia