David Rees schrieb:
> On 8/23/07, Rainer Jung <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Guofeng Zhang schrieb:
>>> # Define Master
>>> worker.master.host=192.168.225.195
>>> worker.master.port=8009
>>> worker.master.type=ajp13
>>> worker.master.lbfactor=1
>>> worker.master.cachesize=10
>>> worker.master.cache_timeout=600
>>> worker.master.socket_timeout=180
>>> worker.master.recycle_timeout=100
>>> worker.master.prepost_timeout=50
>>> worker.master.recovery_options=0
>> You could lower you prepost_timeout. The Timeouts will help for
>> unplanned downtimes. For planned downtimes you should administratively
>> change the activation attribute of the load balancer members.
>
> He's already using a low prepost_timeout of 50ms (IMO is way too low
> and should be set to 250-500ms).

Sorry, I had only little time and directly ran into our old problem,
that some timeouts are seconds, and some are milliseconds. Your are
right, 50 is way too small, se my new Timeouts docs page :)

> What he should also set is the connect_timeout setting, again, I would
> recommend 500ms or higher.

Yes, since prepost_timeout is already that small, I would also guess,
that the minute he had to wait happened during connection establishment.

Unfortunately, the connect_timeout will only help, if the connection can
be established fast (the TCP connection), but then one wants to check,
if Tomcat can answer fast (or maybe one is connected to something other
than Tomcat).

So in case the remote host is dead (i.e. it's not only Tomcat not
answering or no Tomcat there), we have the problem, that TCP as a
reliable problem tries hard to establish a connection with several
resends of SYNs in increasing intervals, leading to long waiting times.

Once the timeout fires, the load balancer takes the node down, so no
more waiting time. Retries will only influence few requests.

> Additionally, I see some other settings which are incorrect:
>
> cachesize is deprecated and should not be set (or left at 1 unless
> using a threaded Apache MPM which is unlikely unless running on
> Windows which the OP does not mention).
> cache_timeout is also deprecated and should not be set.
> recycle_timeout is also deprecated and should not be set.

Mostly I agree, but I would set a timeout for athe connection pool.

> -Dave

Regards,

Rainer