Thanks for the response Christopher... although I had very early on, already tried what is suggested in the link you have referred to, i.e., setting tomcatAuthentication="false" in the appropriate server.xml line (see the config listing I produced earlier in the thread).

Oh I hope its not some obscure bug in mod_jk!! :)

Thanks,
Omar