In addition to my questinos below, is mbeans-descriptors.xml a
Tomcat-specific file or part of JMX in general? I can't tell - it seems to
appear in links like the following:

http://commons.apache.org/modeler/apidocs/org/apache/commons/modeler/package-summary.html

But its DTD is under commons.apache.org - so is this specific to an Apache
JMX implementation, part of JMX, or something else?