ah, I see now. I mucked up the path with "jar uf" and didn't notice cuz I was checking by doing "jar xf" instead of "jar tfv".

doh!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manivannan Palanichamy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:33 PM
Subject: Re: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

just do, jar -tvf MyJar.jar and see whether it lists the class.

--
Manivannan Palanichamy
http://mani.gw.googlepages.com/index.html

On 8/25/07, Dave Sailer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

it does. And if it didn't "jar uf" is broken, I would think.

On Fri, 2007-08-24 at 15:20 -0600, Filip Hanik - Dev Lists wrote:
> better check your Jar to make sure it has the MyServletException.class
> file still in it.
>
> Filip
>
> Dave Sailer wrote:
> > I have a webapp that is working but I wanted to update a servlet jar
so:

> > jar uf MyJar.jar net/whohah/portal/servlet/MyServlet.class
> > cp MyJar.jar $CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/lib
> >
> > No I get the exception shown below. I have MyServlet stripped down so
> > the only imports are:
> > import java.io.*;
> >
> > import javax.servlet.*;
> > import javax.servlet.http.*;
> >

> > I can't see how replacing one servlet that has few dependencies is
> > causing an unrelated NoClassDefFoundError.
> >

> > javax.servlet.ServletException:
> > net/whohah/portal/exceptions/MyServletException
> >     org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:273)
> >     javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:803)
> >
> > root cause
> >
> > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
> > net/whohah/portal/exceptions/MyServletException
> >     java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
> >     java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2357)
> >     java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
> >     java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
> >     java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
> >     org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(
JspServletWrapper.java:142)
> >     org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(
JspServletWrapper.java:311)
> >     org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(
JspServlet.java:315)

Manivannan.Palanichamy (@) Oracle.com
http://mani.gw.googlepages.com/index.html