After changing port to 80 attempting to use Tomcat as a HTTP server as well
as
a container.
When entering http:\\localhost I am getting the standard Tomcat display.
However its being drawn from the index.jsp rather than the index.html due
the message on the page detailing
"$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/ROOT/index.jsp"

What I have attempted to do is place my own static html files in the
C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\webapps\ROOT
directory.
Basically expecting my index.html to be displayed. However it only attempts
to display the index.jsp page.

I have tried commenting out the - <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
from the web.xml but this does not make any difference.
I want to use the ROOT directory and force the index.html to be used.
All i get is a Error 404 message.
Can anyone help me please?