Was starting to think the same thing, and then I thought to actually try the
local Host, and all the standard tomcat/webapps code and examples are all
working there.

So, that must mean it's a configuration difference between the main Host and
the one I'm trying to add?

The only thing I can think it might be is web.xml - since that's getting
over-ridden by the example stuff, but I can't see any obvious problems with
it.

Is there any other places where the config might change between hosts?

Thanks,

Peter