Thanks, I appreciate the info. As you said just a test. I purged cookies on
both ends and disabled cookies on the browser and the server. I have a
session filter which ensures a session is created:
        HttpSession session=((HttpServletRequest)request).getSession(true);
         if (session.isNew())
         {
                chain.doFilter(request,response);
                System.out.println( "a new session");
         }
         else
         {
             chain.doFilter(request,response);
         }

The new session println() is called every time(even with the hack). which
says to me that tc is ignoring the url encoded sessionid. I've tried every
variation I can think of can someone point me in the direction of the
tomcats source 8(