On 9/21/07, Lindsay Patten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[ ...stuff elided...]

> If I look at the system status using the Tomcat manager webapp there are
> often requests listed with ridiculously large values in the Time column,
> several hundred seconds for jsp pages that only take a fraction of a
> second to generate, and I can cut an paste the request into my browser
> and the request will finish in a fraction of a second.

[ ...stuff elided...]

As far as that goes, I've seen such threads on a Solaris box running
Tomcat 5.0.19. I can recreate them at will by requesting a JSP page in
a browser (Firefox, in this case) and making a request for another
page before I've received the response from the first request. In that
case the http80-Processor thread appears to time out after 8 minutes
of inactivity. I suppose if that happened a lot (e.g. if a network
burp caused a bunch of those) you might max out your "http processor"
threads, but that situation would be easy to spot in the thread dump.

FWIW, the "kill -QUIT <pid>" thread dump in these cases is along the lines of:
"http80-Processor22" daemon prio=5 tid=0x00430600 nid=0x227 runnable
[0xae17f000..0xae1819c8]
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.socketWrite(SocketOutputStream.java:92)
        at java.net.SocketOutputStream.write(SocketOutputStream.java:136)
        at
org.apache.coyote.http11.InternalOutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(InternalOutputBuffer.java:757)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.flushBuffer(ByteChunk.java:436)