Thanks for your reply.  There is a holiday here right now, so I'm not sure if I
will be able to get to file the Bugzilla issue before the holiday break.

We tried a few different versions of mod_jk (the early ones had other issues),
but all the latest ones showed the problem.  We are currently using mod_jk
1.2.25.

In desperation, I was able to create a patch to mod_jk that seems to prevent
the symptom from occurring.  Here is the diff for the file jk_ajp_common.c:
1742,1751d1741
<         // Removing extra flush buffer if we do not need it.
<         if (headeratclient == JK_FALSE) {
<             int code = (int)jk_b_pget_byte(op->reply,0);
<             unsigned int len = (unsigned int)jk_b_pget_int(op->reply,1);
<             if ((code == JK_AJP13_SEND_BODY_CHUNK) && (len == 0)) {
<                 jk_log(l, JK_LOG_DEBUG, "Received flushbuffer -- ignoring");
<                 continue;
<