I've gotta say I've had a miserable time with this one. I've tried nearly permutation of configurations in the Tomcat documentation and nothing seems to work; either I get the default host or a white blank screen.

What I need is for www.mydomain.com to host mywebapp on the default path and anotherapp on path /anotherapp

If I have this setup in server.xml, everything works:

<Host name="mydomain.com" appBase="webapps/mywebapp"
  unpackWars="true" autoDeploy="true">
  <Context path="" docBase="." debug="0" cookies="false" />
  <Context path="/anotherapp" docBase="../anotherapp" debug="0" />

However, to get the dynamic webapp reloading I've been recommended to move my <Context> elements out of server.xml. As I am running muliple virtual hosts I understand that I cannot use conf/context.xml because this applies to all hosts.
So I have tried each of the following, without success:
- creating a conf/Catalina/mydomain.com/mywebapp.xml
- creating a conf/Catalina/mydomain.com/ROOT.xml
- creating a conf/Catalina/mydomain.com/context.xml
- creating a conf/Catalina/mydomain.com/context.xml.default
- creating a META-INF/context.xml in the web app (although I'd prefer to sort this out within Tomcat anyway)

I've also tried several variations on the docBase: ".", "mywebapp", the absolute path, the absolute path to the .war file...

I mean, why wouldn't this work?
in conf/server.xml:
<Host name="mydomain.com" appBase="webapps/mywebapp" unpackWars="true">
in conf/Catalina/mydomain.com/mywebapp.xml:
<Context path="" docBase="." debug="0" />

Any ideas on how I can achieve the equivalent of my working server.xml with nested Contexts in some other file?
Regards
Dan Garland

Pid wrote:
Daniel M Garland wrote:
My full <host> element then:

yeah...

remove the context defs from server.xml and put them in
META-INF/context.xml, which is a dir/file inside your webapp.

this method of defining contexts is not encouraged, because you have to
restart the server to reload the config, amongst other reasons.

the default web app is called ROOT.war, your other one would be
asmalljspapp.war. put both files in the appBase dir.

when it unpacks, it'll drop the contexts like so:

appBase/ROOT/META-INF/context.xml
appBase/asmalljspapp/META-INF/context.xml

i strongly recommend that you have a read of the Context config stuff in
the docs.  you'll need to set reloadable="true".

<Host name="mydomain.com" appBase="webapps/mywebapp" unpackWars="true"
autoDeploy="true">
         <Context path="" docBase="." debug="0" cookies="false" />
         <Context path="/asmalljspapp" docBase="../smalljspapp"
debug="0" />
         <Alias>www.myvirtualhost.com</Alias>
         <Alias>subdomain.myvirtualhost.com</Alias>

         <Cluster
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.SimpleTcpCluster"

managerClassName="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.DeltaManager"
                 expireSessionsOnShutdown="false"
                 useDirtyFlag="true"
                 notifyListenersOnReplication="true">

            <Membership
                className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.mcast.McastService"
                mcastAddr="228.0.0.5"
                mcastPort="45565"
                mcastFrequency="500"
                mcastDropTime="3000"/>

            <Receiver

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationListener"
                tcpListenAddress="10.78.1.43"
                tcpListenPort="4002"
                tcpSelectorTimeout="100"
                tcpThreadCount="6"/>

            <Sender

className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationTransmitter"
                replicationMode="pooled"
                ackTimeout="15000"
                stateTransferTimeout="45"
                waitForAck="true"/>

            <Valve
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.tcp.ReplicationValve"

filter=".*\.gif;.*\.js;.*\.jpg;.*\.png;.*\.css;.*\.txt;"/>

            <ClusterListener
className="org.apache.catalina.cluster.session.ClusterSessionListener"/>
        </Cluster>
      </Host>

Any ideas?

Pid wrote:
Daniel M Garland wrote:
Hello,

I have a virtual host configured on my Tomcat 5.5.20 cluster
installation.

In my server.xml, I have

<Host name="mydomain.com" appBase="webapps/mywebapp" unpackWars="true"
autoDeploy="true">
What config do you have in your Context(s)?

And yet if I copy in a new war file (I'm using ant's deploy task) I
don't see any changes to my webapp. If I look at the individual server's
webapp via the manager application, I see the changes; but I don't see
any changes by looking at the virtual host address until I restart
Tomcat.

Why?

Thanks in advance.
Dan Garland