Jeffrey,

Jeffrey Nguyen (jeffrngu) wrote:
> I had actually tried to define the value for catalina.home explicitely
> in catalina.properties file, but I still can't get this working.

Not sure if catalina.home can actually be specified here. You may have
to specify it externally.

> common.loader=${catalina.home}/common/classes,${catalina.home}/common/i1
> 8n/*.jar,${catalina.home}/common/endorsed/*.jar,${catalina.home}/common/
> lib/*.jar
>
> With this definition, I got the following stacktrace:
>
> 2007-09-26 13:53:13,000 ERROR [Thread-6]
> rmidispatcher.TCTTaskDispatcherImpl - java.rmi.ServerException:
> RemoteException occurred in server thread; nested exception is:
>       java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling arguments;
> nested exception is:
>       java.net.MalformedURLException: no protocol:
> Files/thirdparty/TOMCAT/common/classes/

Yes. It's obvious that the path still contains the space, and that the
loader is considering it to be a path delimiter instead of part of the
path itself.

> If I replace "${catalina.home}" with "C:/Program~1/thirdparty/TOMCAT"
> for the first path, I'll get MalformedURLException exception again for
> the second path. If I made the same change for the first 2 paths, I'll
> get the same exception complaining about the third path.  If I do this
> for the first 3 paths, the same exception points to the last path.
>
> When I made the same change for all 4 paths, Tomcat failed to start. I
> got the following error in catalina.* log:
>
> Sep 25, 2007 9:59:23 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester
> startElement
> SEVERE: Begin event threw error
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/naming/TransactionRef

There are two possibilities:

1. Your path is still not correct (likely)
2. Your Tomcat install must be broken. This class should be in
   CATALINA_HOME/common/lib/naming-factory.jar

Did you check to see that your 8.3 representation of the path is
correct? Try copy-and-pasting that path up there into a "cd" command and
see if windows will put you in the proper directory.

> One more thing: I don't see any of the above exceptions if I don't
> deploy my servlet that uses RMI. Other servlets that are not using RMI
> seem to work fine. I'm not sure if this issue is triggered when RMI is
> used within Tomcat and when Tomcat is installed under a directory with
> spaces.  The postings I found mentioned the use of RMI.

I assume you need RMI or you wouldn't be asking.