I am on 5.0.25.....

Here are the different deployments I have tried and the problems I have:

First, the context.xml is simple:

<Context path="/site" docBase="/usr/apps/app1" reloadable="false"
privileged="false" />

The server.xml Host entry is:
<Host name="localhost" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="false"
autoDeploy="false" deployOnStartup="true" xmlValidation="false"
xmlNamespaceAware="false">

(I have toyed with different settings on unpackWARS, autoDeploy and
deployOnStartup without success)

Scenario 1:
1.  Place the context.xml in the META-INF of the war and deploy using the
manager "WAR file to deploy"
     - As expected, it ignores the path and places the war in the appBase
directory, not in the docBase directory.

Scenario 2:
1. Place the war and context.xml in a particular location on disk.
2. Using the "Deploy directory or WAR file located on server" (in manager) I
use the following options:
    a. Context Path = /site
    b. XML Configuration file URL = file:/path/to/file/context.xml
    c. WAR or Directory URL = file:/path/to/war/abc.war

  - This simply leave the war where it is at, does not unpack it in the
specified docBase and tries to start the war...unsucessfully at that.
  - I was hoping it would load the war, unpack it in the docBase and start
it up

Scenario 3:
1. Place the war and context.xml in a particular location on disk.
2. Using the "Deploy directory or WAR file located on server" (in manager) I
use the following options:
    a. Context Path (optional) = leave this blank
    b. XML Configuration file URL = file:/path/to/file/context.xml
    c. WAR or Directory URL = file:/path/to/war/abc.war

   - Message FAIL - Invalid context path  was specified
   - this ignores the path in the context.xml and required the optional
parameter Context Path.

At any rate, I have mulled over these options in several combinations all of
which has been unsucessful.

There is one Sucessful Senario:

1. Stop the application.
2. maually</> delete and unpack the new war in the specified docBase
directory.
3. Using the "Deploy directory or WAR file located on server" (in manager) I
use the following options:
    a. Context Path = /site
    b. XML Configuration file URL = file:/path/to/file/context.xml
    c. WAR or Directory URL = file:/path/to/unpackedwar/directory

  - This seems to work but do not want the manual steps.