Folks,

Apologies, this is not strictly a tomcat question but I wonder if anyone else has run into it and has a solution. My app spawns another window to display help, via the window.open() javascript call.

The new window does not share the same session as the original, the session ID
is always different.
Occasionally the ID of the new window is that of a session that has expired so the user is redirected to the login page.

I think his behaviour is IE specific, I found a couple of (non tomcat)
explanations here:

http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-manage-a-session-across-multiple-windows.html.

http://de3.php.net/session-start

In the latter it says:
"The problem is that IE doesn't always use the same IE process to host a new pop-up window - it chooses one (using some mysterious strategy) from the pool of running IE processes! Since session information (cookies) is not preserved across processes, the pop-up may loose the session (and probably redirect the user to your log-in page.)"

Does anyone know how to make the new window use the same session as the
original window?
Or at least use a brand-new session rather than a recycled old one?

TIA - Adam