> From: A C [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: placing jars in /server/lib - can cause oome?
>
> We've been experiencing horrendous OOMEs recently after
> deploying 40 clones of a vendor's .war file which encompasses their
> application/portal.

You're a tad short on specifics: Tomcat version, JRE/JDK version, OS
platform, actual exception thrown, etc.

> Then, we have 40 contexts for 40 customers, each one has its
> own WEB-INF/lib folder with an identical set of class folders
> and jars etc etc.

Each copy of the classes has to be loaded separately, since Tomcat uses
one classloader per webapp.  You are likely running out of PermGen
space, but can't tell for sure without more real information.

> When we have 30, we need a daily restart, even though we
> never get more than 25 sessions to the database in that time ...

Which indicates you may well have a memory leak in your webapp, and
having multiple copies of it just makes things worse.  You need a
profiler.

> My question is, does placing the jtds.jar in /server/lib
> cause an issue?

Unless you've done something funny with conf/catalina.properties, that
may be completely irrelevant, since none of the webapps can even see
classes from that location.  Are you sure that jar is even being used?

> we're planning on refitting the deployment and
> placing this in common/lib ...

Which would make it visible to the webapps, whereas now it's only
visible to Tomcat code.  Moving it to common/lib should not require any
changes.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.