Hello,

I am trying to setup SSL in my Tomcat 5.5.25 (on Debian Linux) and thus downloaded a binary version of Tomcat from the Tomcat website.
Now I tried to create a keystore:

# keytool -genkey -v -keyalg RSA

The server.xml is as follows:

              acceptCount="100" scheme="https" secure="true"
              clientAuth="false" sslProtocol="TLS" />

The error message in the log I am getting is:

SEVERE: Catalina.start:
LifecycleException: service.getName(): "Catalina"; Protocol handler start failed: java.io.IOException: Invalid keystore format at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.start(Connector.java:1097) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.start(StandardService.java:457) at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.start(StandardServer.java:700)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:552)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
       at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:433)

What is causing this problem? Why is the keystore not valid? Has this to do with the APR or something? How would I need to create a keystore then to make it work in Tomcat? I also tried to specify the keystore location and name but that doesn't change anything...any ideas?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Werner.