> Is it possible to call the digester of the web.xml by hand?

Hmm, I can imagine a couple of ways how I am able to call it, thus it
is theoretically possible.

Why do you need it? Do you need to go that way?

See, that
1. You have not said about your reasons.

2. You have not said about your constraints, environment.

Thus said, to call internal Tomcat classes, you need either to be a
part of Tomcat, or to make them accessible to the webapp classloader.
You should know, how to achieve that.

But beware that:
1) that may conflict with the SecurityManager configuration, if you
are using it. You may need to adjust the policy.
2) your webapp will be Tomcat specific, or even bound to specific
Tomcat release / version.

These are internal classes, not a public API.

Best regards,