On 10/19/07, Daniel M Garland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks Jim,
>
> It was previously set to 1024, and I quadrupled it. When you say ulimit
> is persistent will it persist across a reboot?
>
> I don't seem to have the command lsof, I'll try and apt-get it.
>
> Cheers
> Dan

The settings should persist, but there's a chance that a startup
script sets it after every reboot (e.g. Fedora has (or at least had) a
line to disable core file generation in /etc/profile, I think). Easy
enough to test, assuming you can reboot the box.

Besides lsof, a quick and dirty way to count the number of open files
for a process (in this case "firefox", use Tomcat's pid in place of
$(pgrep firefox) in your case):
  example-prompt$ ls /proc/$(pgrep firefox)/fd | wc -l
  75

You didn't supply much detail about Tomcat's usage, but if the open
file limit is indeed 1024 (and you don't have a heavily-used server)
you might be leaking file handles somewhere in your JSP pages.