Now Tomcat is also a cool pojo application server
----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Schultz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 4:18 PM
Subject: Re: Philamasophical question META-INF

Johnny,

Johnny Kewl wrote:
Got a little sensitive info that I would like to package with an application.
I noticed that even if the user has say left listing on.. that stuff in
META-INF is not listed. TC seems to actively block it or ignore it.

What do you think... if I stay away from names like
context.xml
and
MANIFEST.MF

do you think its an OK to store in META-INF or am I breaking some rule that I should know about?

Storing stuff in WEB-INF should be just fine -- I would stick to WEB-INF
instead of META-INF. I'd bet that Tomcat protects WEB-INF the same way.

I have seen lots of projects where all the JSPs go into WEB-INF so they
aren't accidentally accessed directly from a browser, or aren't
accidentally served as source code if the JSP compiler/runner isn't enabled.

Thanks Chris,  nice to know its being done.
Looks like if I stay away from context.xml, and these http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/jar/jar.html
ie
MANIFEST.MF
INDEX.LIST
x.SF
x.DSA
services/

... its ok... well maybe not coz ejb has

ejb-jar.xml
application.xml

a little more searching shows Jboss doing stuff like this
META-INF/application.xml
META-INF/ejb-jar.xml
META-INF/ibm-ejb-jar-bnd.xmi
META-INF/ibm-ejb-jar-ext.xmi
META-INF/jboss.xml
META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
META-INF/orion-ejb-jar.xml
META-INF/sun-ejb-jar.xml
META-INF/sun-j2ee-ri.project
META-INF/weblogic-ejb-jar.xml

.... its busy, or potentially busy

Seems like the right place to store this stuff... because the stuff I want to put there is things like certificates, private keys, and some security config, which is not too far removed from what Sun seem to be using it for.

Suppose theres a spec somewhere governing all these entries, just hope my files dont clash with anything..

Thanks....