Very partial answer: for the apache part see

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/core.html#allowencodedslashes

By default apache httpd does not allow those requests, and denies them
even before passing over to mod_jk. If allowed, it doesn't decode them.

If you enable them in Apache and want to check, which URL we pass
forward to Tomcat, set JkLogLevel debug and search for "Service". There
is a log line, which gives the URL in exactly the encoding in which
mod_jk forwards it to the backend.

Regards,

Rainer