Hi Gabe,

I'd seen those instructions and that was one of the first things I
tried but I'm still getting the same exception. I've tried placing
mysql-connector-java-5.1.5-bin.jar in %TOMCAT_HOME%/common/lib. I've
also tried with it just in my web app's lib directory and I've tried
with it in both locations.

Based on what I am seeing in Catalina's MBean attributes for the
DataSource (see my original post)  I feel like this has something to
do with the Resource configuration but since it agrees with the
documentation I'm at a bit of a loss.