On 26Nov, 2007, at 21:30, Mark Thomas wrote:

Dennis Thrysøe wrote:
Is there some mechanism that restarts when all threads are stuck, or
after some timeout? Is this configurable.

In short, there is no such mechanism. Is some other software monitoring
Tomcat and restarting it if it fails?

No. But I see the pause and stop messages from tomcat and some "closing down" stuff from my own Filter.destroy(). However this destroy method throws an exception (my fault) which leaves things in a bad state.

It seems that the "guts" of the webapp have been closed down, but requests are still being served.

Tomcat 5.5.17 by the way.

This isn't really a super-important problem, since the root-cause needs to be fixed under any circumstances. I'm just curious on how the webapp/servlet container can enter such a state.

What about when tomcat closes down. Will it eventually (after a timeout) call Filter.destroy() even if there are still threads executing within it?

-dennis