I have the same problem.

I use Eclipse 3.3 and tomcat 5.5.25. Eclipse is set to "Build
Automatically". When I modified the code within Eclipse, it will
recompile and reload the tomcat context and the memory problem occurs
here every time.

I put tomcat <context/> in
${catalina.home}/conf/Catalina/localhost/appName.xml. It runs on
localhost and there is only one webapp.

Eclipse.ini
****
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
512M
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Xms512M
-Xmx1024M
****

appName.log
****
13/12/2007 14:14:30 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext reload
INFO: Reloading this Context has started
13/12/2007 14:14:32 org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader validateJarFile
Exception in thread "Timer-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at org.apache.log4j.LogManager.getLogger(LogManager.java:179)
        at org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger(Logger.java:94)
        at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger.getLogger(Log4JLogger.java:229)
****
Sometimes it reports Java OutOfMemory exception (java heap Space). I
can't figure out whose problem it is, Eclipse? tomcat, or the code.