Hmm, I'm running Tomcat 4.1.18 which didn't even support the %D logging
directive :-/

But now I have a load balancer in place, with one worker. A status is shown
below after about 6hrs of traffic.
As you can see the client errors make up about 6% of all incident traffic,
though they dwarf server errors.

Type     Sticky Sessions         Force Sticky Sessions   Retries         LB
Method       Locking         Recover Wait Time       Max Reply Timeouts
lb       True    False   2       Request         Optimistic      60      0

Good     Degraded        Bad/Stopped     Busy    Max Busy        Next
Maintenance
1        0       0       18      60      37/99

Balancer Members

         Name    Type    Host    Addr    Act     State   D       F       M
 V       Acc     Err     CE      RE      Wr      Rd      Busy    Max     Route
 RR      Cd      Rs
        worker41         ajp13   localhost:8009  127.0.0.1:8009  ACT     OK
 0       1       1       140     42245   97      2556    0       24M     1.4G
 18      60      worker41                        0/0

It certainly gives me a better picture of what's going on, but I'm no further
towards what is stopping everything working on a daily basis.

But then just as I'm writing this my site falls over - I get the Service
Temporarily Unavailable consistently on my pages. I grabbed a snapshot of the
status worker -

Type     Sticky Sessions         Force Sticky Sessions   Retries         LB
Method       Locking         Recover Wait Time       Max Reply Timeouts
lb       True    False   2       Request         Optimistic      60      0

Good     Degraded        Bad/Stopped     Busy    Max Busy        Next
Maintenance
1        0       0       100     115     21/83

Balancer Members

         Name    Type    Host    Addr    Act     State   D       F       M
 V       Acc     Err     CE      RE      Wr      Rd      Busy    Max     Route
 RR      Cd      Rs
        worker41         ajp13   localhost:8009  127.0.0.1:8009  ACT
ERR/FRC         0       1       1       132     43181   691     2597    0
24M     1.4G    100     115     worker41                        0/0

Clearly there seemed to be some catastrophic occurrence that made the Error
count rocket and the worker state change. I'm unfamliar with the load balancer
- will a state of ERR/FRC be rectified somehow? For now I just restarted IIS &
Tomcat which appears to be the only method of recovery at present

cheers

Tim