Case:

I've deployed an application on a Tomcat 6.0 (current release). The
application is a Hibernate / Stripes application.

Almost no memory is allocated due to the deployed application.

Setting:

-Xmx64m -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

Tomcat without application uses: 27,5M (real memory) and 349M (virtual
memory)
Tomcat with application uses: 133M (real memory) and 367M (Virtual memory)

Now if I stop this application (using the manager) the memory profile
becomes:

Tomcat with stopped application: 128M (real memory) and 679M (virtual
memory)

So stopping the application increases the virtual memory usage from 367 to
679 m and stays there!

Undeploying a stopped application doesn't change the numbers.

Why does stopping (or undeploying) a webapplication cause a dramatic
increase in memory usage?

My guesses:
 - Some ressources are not freed? (database connections)
 - Some hibernate related stuff are trapped in a circular relation circle?
 - Tomcat punishes me for stopping something it really liked :-)

--
  Morten Matras
  Udviklingschef

  T: 76 654321