A different David here ... given the error doesn't have actual version numbers in it, it may be a corrupted class. Can you recompile it and see if that fixes the issue?

--David

Jannetta Steyn wrote:
Hi David

Thanks for your response.
At least one class file in your war requires a jvm which's version
should be higher than the one running tomcat. It generally occurs when you try to load a java 5 compiled class file using a java 1.4 or earlier jvm. I'll check twice the version tomcat is actually using to run. It is most probably not what you said, because tomcat requires a JDK, and not a JRE! Since tomcat did not refuse to start mentionning it's not a jdk, it certainly did not use JRE1.5.0_14 in your server.

Having had problems with this server before, I uninstalled every JDK and JRE I
could find and installed the JRE mentioned. When I installed Tomcat 5.5, I
selected that JRE. Tomcat seems to run fine and a previous version of my
application also seems to be running quite happily. Why does Tomcat 5.5 need a
JDK (only answer, if it is not RTFM, because I obviously haven't done it
properly)

There are a few JREs left in Oracle directories and because I don't know what
they are I have had to leave them since the server is also used by others.

Below is the server path:

D:\Program Files\PHP\;C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\System32\Wbem;C:\Progr
am Files\Dell\OpenManage\Array Manager;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Ass
ociates\VirusScan Engine\4.0.xx\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\
Binn\;C:\Program Files\DataDirect\ODBC32v50\Drivers;D:\oracle9i\OPatch;D:\San_Fr
ancisco\Products\SIST\bin;D:\Edits\products\EDITS\bin;D:\oracle9i\jre\1.4.2\bin\
client;D:\oracle9i\jre\1.4.2\bin;D:\oracle9i\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.3
.1\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.8\bin;D:\oracle10g\product\OraDb10gHome\j
re\1.4.2\bin\client;D:\oracle10g\product\OraDb10gHome\jre\1.4.2\bin;C:\Program F
iles\Java\jre1.5.0_14\bin;\bin;C:\Program Files\Oracle\jre\1.1.7\bin;D:\Edits\pr
oducts\EDITS\Apache\Perl\5.00503\bin\mswin32-x86;C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Se
rver 5.0\bin;Ø

The truth is, that from what I can see, this server is in a very "iffy" state, but
unfortunately I have no control over it and I'll have to request our IT department to
"re-do" the server which will probably take weeks (I'm not allowed to do it myself - I
wouldn't have used Windows in the first place, but there you go ... ).

Before going the re-do way I wanted to try and resolve the problem if possible.
I'll start by moving my path to jre1.5.0 to the front of the path. But if
anyone spots anything else that could help resolve the problem, I'd appreciate
some pointers.

Regards
Jannetta

This e-mail and any attachments are for the intended addressee(s) only
and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not a
named addressee, do not use, retain or disclose such information.
This email is not guaranteed to be free from viruses and does not bind
Serco in any contract or obligation.
Serco Limited. Registered in England and Wales. No: 242246
Registered Office: Serco House,16 Bartley Wood Business Park, Hook,
Hampshire RG27 9UY United Kingdom.

Help cut carbon...please don’t print this e-mail unless you really need to.