Christopher Schultz-2 wrote:

> This is a self-defeating technique: your threads are not guaranteed to
> complete your database configuration before any requests are serviced.

Nop! The embedded DMBS is not designed such crappy way. That's why we
need to use specially developed embedded DBMSs! It creates a server socket
that will delay all incoming requests until others are ready!

Christopher Schultz-2 wrote:

> By definition, Tomcat will call this method exactly once before a web
> application is destroyed, and requests are guaranteed not to follow this
> call.
> | Note that "ServletContextEvent" does not provide such information!
> What information?

I need to know whether Tomcat server shutdown is destroying or whether
it is destroyed by administrators. I have to say detecting server shutdown
may be difficult.