It turns out that Netbeans likes to use the Tomcat Manager, so I had to get
this working.  Since others claimed that it worked "out of the box" I just
uninstalled everything [losing quite a bit of customization] and
did a clean vanilla install.

Now it works, but I have no idea what caused the problem.   This is NOT A
BROWSER PROBLEM -- I tried two different browsers before, firefox and IE,
neither worked before, and both work now.   I too had added
another user, so perhaps it has something to do with that.

At this point, I'm just glad its working.   Fortunately, at this point, I'm
just dorking around, refreshing my tech skills, which have gotten a little
dusty, so I can easily chuck the whole install and start fresh.

Mark