JMeter includes an AJP13 client. I would expect that to be overkill though.

I also do not know of any fully featured Java based reverse proxy servlet. In your case, you might be able to write something reasonable on top of httpclient for the HTTP protocol (using http to the backend and not AJP13).

It's not trivial, because e.g. you can't simply forward all HTTP headers (some of them indicate prtocol features, and if you forward them you need to configure your backend connection to be in compliance with what the headers indicate - example: connection keep alive handling). Nevertheless, if you understand the cases for which you actually need the forwarding good enough and they are limited in variation, it might be best to write the servlet from scratch using httpclient for the protocol part.

Tim:
Thanks for the reply. The proxy implementation you recommended didn't seem to work (it supplied redirects instead of actually proxying). The documentation was somewhat ill maintained, which kind of compounded the problem. Unfortunately the project seems to be abandoned, so I'm going to have to move on to something else. It's probably quicker to write something up as a servlet (as Rainer recommended) than dig through source to try to figure it out. I do appreciate the link though.

Rainer:
Thanks for the suggestion. I think that might be what I end up with....*sigh*.

B.