Rainer Jung wrote:
> Christian Schausberger wrote:
>> Rainer Jung wrote:
>>> I would start adding a prepost_timeout. See:
>>>
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/generic_howto/timeouts.html
>>> and
>>> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/reference/workers.html
>>>
>> Maybe I misunderstood this directive. connect_timeout only applies after
>> the TCP connection has been established. I thought the order in which
>> those timeouts apply is:
>>     1.) socket_timeout
>>     2.) connect_timeout
>>     3.) prepost_timeout
>
> socket_timeout is a low level socket timeout (sic!).
> So whenever we read from the socket, the timer starts and if it fires,
> then we get an error. The connection can not be used any more afterwards.

If this is a matter of starting a timer after a read from the socket,
why should this not be supported on Solaris?

> prepost_timeout is similar to connect_timeout, but it is used in the
> situation, where the connection has already been established for some
> previous request and we are going to reuse (what we are supposed to do
> a lot, because AJP13 uses persistent connections). We send a cping and
> wait for cpong before each request when prepost_timeout is set. Such
> behaviour is very common with other persistent connection technologies
> like e.g. database connection pools.
>

>> Does prepost_timeout actually work even though the underlying TCP
>> connection can not be established?
> See above, prepost gets used when we reuse an established connection
> to make sure, that the backend is still there and able to answer.

I have tried prepost as you suggested in your first reply but it had no
effect because of the reasons you just explained. Upgrading to
mod_jk-1.2.26 also had no effect.  I assume reply_timeout will also rely
on an established ajp connection.

Regards,

Christian