My application is a scientific data server that transfers large amounts of
binary data. I am looking to make it as fast as possible and have been
experimenting with the NIO FileChannel.transferTo() method. This appears to be
much faster (3-10X) than using an OutputStream, under some circumstances. So I
am trying to see if I can use this from within Tomcat.

So the question is whether there is a way to obtain a SocketChannel for the
connection? The standard interface only allows to get an OutputStream. While
Channels.newChannel(OutputStream out) gives a WriteableByteChannel, the
transferTo() method does not work on it, apparently one needs to get the
SocketChannel at a deeper level.

Has anyone else tried this? Any ideas would be much appreciated.