Hi Daniel,

mod_jk uses a special protocol to talk to the backend server. It's called AJP13. Several backends implement the protocol, e.g. Tomcat, Jetty, Glassfish, JBoss, Geronimo (I guess because it includes Tomcat or Jetty).

If you are looking for a simple solution, you might also just use Apache 2.2 with mod_proxy(_http), so talking HTTP to the backend.

The strengths of mod_jk come into play, if you want to do loadbalancing and online administration, e.g. when you have a couple of nodes and a non-trivial topology.

Whatever you combine with mod_rewrite, don't overlook brien's advice about the P resp. PT flag of RewriteRules.

Regards,

Rainer

Daniel Winterstein schrieb:
Is it possible to use mod_jk to get the Apache2 web server to forward web requests to programs other than Tomcat? E.g. can workers.properties be set to point to a non-Tomcat program? If so, what would that program have to do to interpret the incoming requests? Are the requests still in http form, or have they been partially parsed and altered? I'm currently using mod_rewrite, but this achieves a redirect via the client, rather than a hidden forward. A hidden forward would prevent 'ugly' urls appearing, and (I think) be faster.
Thank you for any help,
- Daniel