"Johnny Kewl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> HARBOR: http://coolharbor.100free.com/index.htm
> The most powerful application server on earth.
> The only real POJO Application Server.
> Making the Java dream come true.
>

> Thanks Filip, I see this is your baby, clearly a guru..
> I have missed the history here and actually didnt even realize there were
> competing specs.
> I now see what the technology is about, the joggling of blocking and
> events, threads are cool, but blocking is easy and they
> tossing the 2 concepts into various combinations...
> The practical implementation I still struggle with, maybe one day a need
> will fall onto my desk, and Comet will jump up as a solution.

Well, Comet is good when you have the client frontend tightly bound to the
server backend.  For example, the (simplistic) Chat example Servlet that
ships with TC6, or, say an Applet that shows real-time stock prices.  In
these cases, changes happen on the server-side that the client isn't aware
of.  But that doesn't matter, since the server can push the updates to the
client without the client having to constantly poll for new data.

Comet lets your app scale much much higher in these types of cases, since
you aren't wasting threads and bandwidth with the client asking "anything
new?" and the servlet responding "not yet".

> I also realize that my post to Bill in terms of this technology is way
> off, but to me extreme control like this, if made slightly more generic,
> ie not just Http... would mean Tomcat is also applicable to extreme
> solutions...
> I can hear Christopher, saying "please no, questions like we have a video
> server in one Servlet, and Ldap server in another... how can we"... ha ha

Comet works (as implemented in Tomcat) by wrapping the actual protocol in
HTTP as a wire protocol.  However, the Coyote abstraction makes TC pretty
much agnostic to wire protocols as well :).