En l'instant précis du 25/02/08 13:51, Dave s'exprimait en ces termes:
Our Linux(FC) machine has 8G physical memory and 12G swap size.  I am using JDK
1.5.   I tried to set the Java option -Xmx to set max heap size for best
performance,   the allowed max heap size is 2048M .  Does that mean that the
JVM can not use all the physical memory (8G) ?  Thanks.
  Dave

The maximum memory the JVM can use depends on the maximum size of continuous memory segment the OS you run on allows you to reserve. On 32 bits linux, it's about 2G (that is 4G minus memory area reserved for kernel, minus memory area used by libraries minus other thingies jvm might use). To get more you will need a 64bits JVM + a 64 bits OS. Note it's a limitation of hardware architecture and OS more than a limitation of JVM.

PS: if you plan to swap-out 12G of datas, i hope your disks are fast :)

--
http://www.devlog.be (a belgian developer's logs)